On-Demand Webinar: Introduction to Embankment Dams
Association of State Dam Safety Officials, 2017
The overwhelming majority of dams in the world, and also in the United States, are embankment dams. This webinar is intended as an overview of embankment dams, to serve as an introduction for those relatively new to dam safety and a refresher for the more experienced practitioner. The webinar will begin with a review of the history of embankment dams from antiquity to today and comments on today’s inventory of dams. Types of embankment dams and embankment dam failure modes will then be reviewed, followed by discussions of design and construction considerations. Finally, approaches to the evaluation of existing embankment dams and common maintenance concerns will be described. After the webinar, attendees will have an overall understanding of the universe of embankment dams, how they are intended to work, problems that can develop, and design, construction, and maintenance approaches to address those problems. Although the webinar is focused on dams, many of the concepts, failure modes, and design, construction, and maintenance issues may be applicable to earthen levees.
- An understanding of the long history of embankment dams.
- An understanding of the different configurations for embankment dams.
- An understanding of potential failure modes for embankment dams.
- A general understanding of design and construction considerations for embankment dams.
- An understanding of maintenance concerns for embankment dams.
Access Training Here
Speaker(s): John W. France
Revision ID: 2282
Revision Date: 08/19/2022